- Emmanuel Chapel was established as a mission at 114 W. Canton Street in the South End. After 1885, it became Chapel of the Ascension, then Church of the Ascension in 1890.
- Enoch Redington Mudge, who had founded recently-dedicated St. Stephen’s Church, Lynn, died. Jr. Warden from 1865-72, he had been a vestryman during the Civil War, when he lost his son Charles Redington at Gettysburg.