1886

Our mission to the South End, renamed Chapel of the Ascension, moved to 69 West Concord St.. Minister-in-Charge, the Rev. Walter E.C. Smith expanded its youth activities.

Parishioner Annie Lawrence Lamb gave funds in memory of her father, Benjamin Smith Rotch (1817-1882), to found Church of the Holy Spirit, Mattapan.

Rear of Church of the Holy Spirit, Mattapan, which was designed by Arthur Rotch. Photo credit: Ch. of the Holy Spirit

1881

  • Emmanuel Chapel was established as a mission at 114 W. Canton Street in the South End.  After 1885, it became Chapel of the Ascension, then Church of the Ascension in 1890.
  • Enoch Redington Mudge, who had founded recently-dedicated St. Stephen’s Church, Lynn, died. Jr. Warden from 1865-72, he had been a vestryman during the Civil War, when he lost his son Charles Redington at Gettysburg.

    Enoch Redington Mudge (1812-1881)