1886

Our mission to the South End, renamed Chapel of the Ascension, moved to 69 West Concord St.. Minister-in-Charge, the Rev. Walter E.C. Smith expanded its youth activities.

Parishioner Annie Lawrence Lamb gave funds in memory of her father, Benjamin Smith Rotch (1817-1882), to found Church of the Holy Spirit, Mattapan.

Rear of Church of the Holy Spirit, Mattapan, which was designed by Arthur Rotch. Photo credit: Ch. of the Holy Spirit

1883

Memorial bronze bust of The Rev. Dr. Alexander Hamilton Vinton by Augustus St. Gaudens was installed in the nave.  It was finally dedicated in 1894. For details please see an article in the Boston Daily Globe.

The family of the late Benjamin Smith Rotch endowed the Rotch Travelling Scholarship for architects.

See also

1880

The Rev. Dr. William R. Huntington wrote “A Brief Sketch of the Early Days of the Church of the Good Shepherd”, Parish Journal of the Church, pp. 7-10.  Its title page lists as rector The Rev. George J. Prescott and as warden JDW French, who had come with founding priest WR Huntington from Emmanuel.  Also listed are warden Robert H. Richards and other founders, vestrymen, and sexton.

See also 1866